After talking with friends this weekend about hobbies, I thought long and hard about why I haven't found a "typical" hobby and stuck with it in my 30 years. Don't get me wrong, I love to do many things but I'm not sure I could call them hobbies.
But, there are 2, possibly very false, assumptions in this:
1. That hobbies are solitary- like knitting, scrapbooking, reading, etc.
2. That hobbies are the standard hobbies (knitting, sports, etc) instead of just fun things to keep your mind active, inspired, and enjoying life.
So, what I'm realizing is that time with friends (and family when possible), time with my husband, playing with my dogs, swimming in the pool, going out to dinner, watching TV, being on the computer (always), watching football, and many more daily fun activities may not be "typical" hobbies, but they are my pastime...
I think it really comes down the fact that I enjoy time with people more than anything else...BUT it is also important to be self-sufficient, independent, and have some time to oneself. This puts me back to square one- what "hobbies" suit me?
I'm going to try blogging, art, crafts, cooking, and maybe even something with getting my photos arranged... we'll see where this takes me and what I learn from more time with myself. :)
Maybe you got some of these ideas from your Dad. I feel the same way, in fact I often felt different because I did not have a "normal" hobbie. Anyway, good first blog, keep up the great writing.
ReplyDeleteDad